Saturday 5 March 2011

Weekend Munchies

It's been a couple days since I have last posted, so I am back with a weekend installment of the foods I've cooked and enjoyed. Just a reminder that there are only two days left on my weekly poll so get your pizza votes in. C'mon, it's pizza. Everybody loves it.

Friday, as I mentioned last, I went ahead and made the Cod au Gratin I had originally planned to make on Thursday. It turned out half decent - the only thing that annoyed me (and Randy mentioned it as well) is that the sauce didn't seem to get thick, giving it an almost watery consistency. I used a recipe my mom had written out for me in a cookbook she gave me a few years back, but either I did something wrong or that is the way it was supposed to be. Either way, I kept adding flour and cornstarch to thicken it up but to no avail. Still, it tasted pretty good. I paired it with a side spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette and one of those homemade rolls I made on Thursday


Cod Au Gratin with Spinach Salad and homemade roll

Today I picked up some chicken legs and threw them in a casserole dish with italian dressing and onion soup mix on top. I paired these with stuffed baked potatoes:

This actually turned out really good! The chicken legs marinated in the dressing and onion soup mix really well and were very juicy and fall off the bone delicious. The potatoes were a bit of a nuisance (having to scoop out the the middle while trying to hold onto scalding hot potatoes that had already been baking for an hour) but in the end, I was glad I made them and they were a nice side to have with the chicken.

Tomorrow I am having a go at another Rachael Ray recipe - this one is Sausage, Penne, and Broccoli casserole with ricotta cheese. I always have a lot of success with her recipes and they're very flavourful so I'm looking forward to trying this one.

On a side note, I think I am developing an unhealthy obsession with Party Mix. I had some more last night and will probably finish off the rest tonight if only to accompany the beer I have with Randy while we watch the Pittsburgh game. He picked up a 24 case of Coors Light, largely (I believe) because there was a free toque inside. He's been buying Canadian for the past little while because you get a free beer glass - we now have four beer glasses, no cupboard space, and I have had to put my foot down on beer glass acceptance, lol.

Shout-outs from the past two days go to: Tim Horton's plain tea biscuits, dark chocolate with cranberries and almonds, and partridgeberry tea. And, of course PARTY MIX.




No comments:

Post a Comment