Wednesday 16 March 2011

The 'Now I Really Need Groceries' Post

I've been a little sporadic with my posts as of late, mainly because of the fact that this is grocery week. Ah, grocery week. The food equivalent of laundry week. The time when you scrape the bottom of the barrel to throw together food that, if you actually had groceries, you probably wouldn't eat. So bear with the boringness of this entry. I'm getting groceries tomorrow so I should actually have something decent to post next time.

Monday I rummaged through the cupboards and fridge to throw together a half sensible supper. I had some shell pasta left over from when I made a Rachael Ray Tuna Casserole recipe (sounds disgusting but was actually probably the best recipe from her I've made so far) and some cheese so I made some macaroni and cheese (with garlic powder, milk, marble cheese and breadcrumbs). I also had some leftover broccoli from the Sausage, Penne, and Broccoli dish I made a little while back as well as leftover homemade rolls from a previous post (leftover...leftover...leftover..are you sensing a theme here?) resulting in a concoction that looked like this:

Tuesday was even more of a challenge as I was running on fewer groceries again. I'd call Monday's meal a poor man's beige meal as it was comprised of all foods beige and cheap. I replaced the mac 'n' cheese with Shake and Bake chicken, the broccoli with Compliments carbonara pasta, and retained the homemade roll. Randy commented on how salty the Shake and Bake was, and he was right. I don't usually make much Shake and Bake (I really only keep it on hand for times like this when I am running low on groceries) so I'd forgotten how salty it can be. That combined with the salt from the prepackaged Sobeys brand Sidekicks and I guess you could refine the name to 'salty poor man's beige meal':




Salty Poor Man's Beige Meal


Today I had planned once again to improvise with whatever groceries we had left. We had some turkey sausage rounds that we picked up from M&M meats around Christmas time left in the freezer so I had planned to turn these into turkey burgers and use the sweet potato left in the fridge to make sweet potato fries. But lo and behold, when I hauled it out to start chopping it up, it had gone bad (again, it's a good thing I am getting groceries tomorrow). I was relieved and annoyed at the same time - relieved because sweet potatoes are insanely hard and frustrating to chop because they are so dense but annoyed because I had really been looking forward to having those fries. I went ahead and made the turkey burgers but threw some oven fries on as well:


I'm really looking forward to getting back to some recipe experimentation very soon. Tomorrow is grocery day so I am undecided as to whether I will forage in the apartment for more food or just say screw it and pick up take-out before we go to the grocery store. Speaking of grocery stores, Randy and I have boycotted Dominion (essentially). Here in Grand Falls, there are really only two places to get groceries: Sobeys or the much larger Dominion. Everytime I go to Dominion, I'm annoyed by its large, impersonal nature and I always feel the need to get in and out as fast as possible (which annoys me because I actually enjoy grocery shopping). In addition to that, it's usually more costly, the baskets are massive and cumbersome, and President's Choice pales in comparison to Our Compliments.

That's it for now - try not to abandon readership on the basis of this dull food post.

One more thing, I have decided to add a new feature to my posts. The 'Sebastian Picture of the Day'. Simple because he always bums around the kitchen while I am cooking (hoping of course for some meat to hit the floor) and curls up on my lap as I write my posts. This is Sebastian hanging out in his newspaper tent I made him:



Shoutouts from the past three days go to : strawberries with cool whip, chocolate macaroons, honeydew melon, and orange juice with lots of pulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment