Wednesday 9 March 2011

Ode to Brown Foods

This blog is dedicated to the two supper meals I had today and yesterday - sure, brown foods may not be the most aesthetically pleasing (see the pictures I took) but despite their less than photogenic appearance, they were actually quite good. Yesterday I went with a Pad Thai recipe my sister introduced to me when I was visiting her this past summer. Still haven't made a decent trip to the grocery store and I happened to have a few packs of rice noodles on hand (Grand Falls hardly ever keeps them stocked regularly, so when Sobeys gets them in, I usually stockpile) so I made this tasty recipe. I enjoyed it before I developed an affinity for hot sauce but now that I am able to enjoy spicy foods (and subsequently douse my Pad Thai in hot sauce), I enjoy this recipe even more. It turned out like this:

Pad Thai



The brown (apparent) homogeneity of the recipe is actually pretty deceiving because there's actually quite a few ingredients in it: brown sugar, soy sauce, eggs, carrots, tomato, onion, garlic...to name a few. But of course, smothering the end result in soya sauce makes it come across as looking pretty bland. Far from it. I covered the top in green onion and plain peanuts and took the above picture before I drowned it in hot sauce.

Today I took a day off from cooking and let Randy take the reins. A little while back, a student of his gave him some canned moose so he decided to make something with that. Canned and/or bottled moose is pretty much the only way I like moose. I'm not a fan of moose steaks or roasts because I find they taste too gamey. But Randy fried up this bottled moose with some onion and it was pretty great. He also made mashed potatoes (a mixture of yellow and sweet potatoes) and served the moose on top of that. He finished it off by adding some bread and butter and mixed vegetables:

Canned Moose


The poll of the week is now closed and it seems some of you share the same love of all things meats that I have. Meat-Lover's pizza came out on top with 50% of the vote, Vegetarian got 33%, and there was one vote for Hawaiian pizza (which I'm willing to bet was you, Mom). This week's poll is devoted to junk food - what do you turn to when you're craving something unhealthy? For me, it's usually chips. I could easily consume a big bag of chips if I wanted to (and have before). Although that being said, I also have a huge sweet tooth.

I'm looking forward to (at some point) moving into a house with a decent size kitchen and lots of cooking and storage space. I'm really wanting to own a food processor right now, but I'm holding off because I honestly don't know where I would put it. I also need to buy a new mixer as I broke Randy's the last time I made a cheesecake (which sucked because I was right in the middle of beating the cream cheese and had to continue doing it with a spoon).

Tomorrow Randy is taking me out for supper so we're thinking about going to Clem's, one of the three food spots in the Mount Peyton Hotel.

Shout-outs from the past two days go to: Crystal Light lemonade, marshmallow wraps, and cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment