Sunday 13 March 2011

The 'I Need Groceries' Post

I'm back after a few days without posts and I don't have too much to report. The weekend was filled with mostly picking at foods - I'm getting groceries this week so I don't have a big variety of foods on end and truthfully, I was too lazy to cook this weekend.

Thursday, as I mentioned in my last post, Randy took me out to Clem's (one of the dining rooms in the Mount Peyton hotel). We started off the evening with a warm dinner roll and a glass of wine (for me) and pint of beer (for Randy):











I ordered the Wrap of the Day (which was a chicken wrap) and a side garden salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Randy ordered a T-bone steak done medium well with mashed potatoes and carrots. My wrap was actually kind of disappointing - I've had wraps here before (mostly the chicken caesar) which have been quite tasty. But this one was just hastily made - a couple chunks of cut up chicken with tomato and cheese in a flour tortilla. The salad was also pretty thrown together, not horrible but definitely not what I would expect from a nice restaurant like this one. This is me  fake smilling at my wrap:




Randy's steak, on the other hand, was really delicious. I tried a bite of it and it was really nice and moist. Sizeable too, I don't think he got through all of the sides. Here's Randy enjoying his meal:


Even though my meal was a disappointment, we did receive pretty decent service and the entire time we were there, we were the only people in the restaurant. Even the servers were in the kitchen when they weren't helping us, so it was kind of like our own private restaurant.

Friday, I went to Gander to meet up with a friend who was coming out for a visit. I was starving by the time I got there so I picked at a few things - some chocolate, Babybel cheeses, and crackers, to name a few. I don't have a picture from Friday as a) I didn't have a real meal and b) what I did eat wasn't really worth photographing. After I snacked for awhile, I cooked a Sunrise burger (which I'm fairly certain is death in a box but delicious nevertheless) and some Indian hors d'oeuvres that were left over from Christmas.

Saturday morning, myself and two of my friends went to The Goose (Irving restaurant) on the highway before I headed back to Grand Falls. I had the best breakfast there I've had in a long time: Two poached eggs (medium-soft) with hash browns, bologna, and homemade white toast. I also had two or three cups of coffee and a glass of grapefruit juice. I forgot how delicious (and affordable) The Goose's breakfast is: $6.79 for something that filled me up for nearly the whole day. The only downside was getting in my car and driving an hour back home when really all I wanted to do is take a big dirty nap.

When I got back to Grand Falls, Randy wanted to go to Jungle Jim's for lunch. I wasn't hungry in the slightest so I tagged along and ordered an Ooey Gooey Brownie Sundae (I really hate ordering things with stupid names so this was a big feat). I only ate about half before I went into sugar/sweetness overload and had to throw in the towel.

Supper on Saturday was a plate of french fries (hey, I did say I was too lazy to cook all weekend) and some chips since I was on such a healthy eating roll that day.

Today I decided to actually make something that still required minimal effort (and minimal groceries) but actually involved a little preparation. I made chicken fajitas with red pepper, onion, cheese, salsa, and sour cream:


I apologize that I don't have too many exciting recipes to show, but am planning on trying quite a few new ones later this week when I actually stock up on food.

Shout-outs from the past few days go to: Quality Street chocolates, Gouda Babybel's, Diet Pepsi, and shortbread cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment