Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Back of the Fridge- Who Knows What Lies Within?

Welcome to another blog about my latest culinary escapades. Yesterday was a school board holiday and I took it upon myself to clean out the fridge. A boring task no doubt, but it was starting to get dirty in there and I knew it was probably the only time I would care to get around it. Well, I hauled out the fruit and vegetable drawers and lo and behold, what do I find behind them but a mini Coffee Crisp bar! Let me explain - back before Halloween, Randy and I bought an obscene amount of mini chocolate bars and bags of chips. I justified this by saying it was "for the trick-treaters" knowing full well that being in a basement apartment, we'd be lucky to maybe get ten kids. No trick or treaters? Well, someone has to eat the candy. We had devoured this candy a few months back but this lone Coffee Crisp bar made its way to the back of the fridge to serve as my reward for cleaning. So folks, the moral of the story is: Clean out your fridge. You never know if a Coffee Crisp bar might be waiting to be rescued.

As I mentioned in my last post, I used the leftover proscuitto and salami from the Spaghetti Pie I made and made a homemade pizza. For the first time, I made my own crust (whole wheat) as well as homemade pizza sauce. The crust turned out perfect - I found a recipe online that uses whole wheat flour, yeast, olive oil, and a few herbs and spices. I wouldn't recommend making your own crust though unless you have a lot of time. It's basically like baking bread in the sense that you have to knead and let the dough rise several times (for an hour at a time) before it's ready to go on the pizza pan. The sauce I also found online - I made one with tomato paste because I happened to have a can in the pantry. The sauce wasn't quite as good as the crust; the recipe that I chose made for a thinner, more watery crust than I would have liked. Still, it was not bad by any means and I really enjoyed actually making everything homemade. I also threw on some onions and green pepper before topping it with mozzarella cheese and fresh ground pepper. The proscuitto was better than I thought it would be on the pizza - delicious! I'd give this pizza an 8/10.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have customized the look of my blog a little. Check out the weekly poll in the top right corner and cast your vote. This week's theme is pizza (inspired by tonight's meal of course) and I'll be changing it every week, as well as posting the voting results. I also added a counter to the page.

Right now I'm on the hunt for more creative breakfast and lunch options. I always try out new recipes for supper meals but I've kinda stagnated with my breakfast and lunch options. Breakfast is usually Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip muffins, or Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies. Lunch, if I'm substituting, is usually a ham or turkey sandwich. If I'm at home, I might have soup or tuna with hot sauce. New ideas are more than welcome!

Shout-outs today go to: Diet A&W root beer, Shortbread cookies, Blueberries, and Jelly Belly jellybeans.

Stay tuned for the next post when I review Dad's Wonton soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment