Sunday 15 May 2011

A Trip to 48 High

Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you're all relaxing and anticipating the long weekend next week! As for me, I won't be camping. Sleeping on the ground is not high on my list of fun activities.

Wednesday was the day before grocery shopping so as I'm sure you all know by now, groceries and meal ideas were pretty sparse. We had two chicken breasts left in the freezer so Randy so kindly volunteered to barbecue them, despite it being freezing outside. He made a mixture of Onion BBQ sauce and Frank's Red-Hot Sauce and got to work outside while I prepped things inside. To go with the chicken breasts, I made a Sidekicks chicken and broccoli noodle package andd served some canned peas and carrots alongside it:

If you know me at all, you know that peas are one vegetable I cannot stand. I hate the texture and the taste just doesn't jive with me. But since we didn't have any fresh veggies on hand and I felt like I should healthify this meal a little, I sucked it up and ate a few. I wasn't as repulsed as I have been before, but I'm still no fan. Peas will forever be my 'in case of veggie emergency' vegetable.

Thursday was a pretty rushed day - I had to take my car in to get its winter tires off (resulting in a MUCH smoother ride), my mom was stopping in town for a little while, and it was grocery day. So needless to say, my supper was a mish-mash of quick and easy to throw together items. I had some lasagna in the freezer that our landlords had given us a few days back, so I heated that up and served it with some homemade garlic bread (buttered toast topped with garlic powder, bacon bits, and marble cheese put in the oven until the cheese melted) and some boiled carrot rounds topped with a little pepper:







Not too bad for a thrown together meal after lugging home a boatload of groceries! Lasagna is a meal that my tastebuds have definitely warmed up to as I got older. I can remember being forced to eat it when I was younger and visiting friends and family with my parents and being completely revolted. But now, what's not to like? Meat, pasta, and cheese. I'm in.

Friday, Randy took me out to 48 High - the classiest (and most expensive) restaurant in Grand Falls. We don't go very often because it is fairly pricey but I've had several tasty meals here. We started things off with a 1/2 liter of white wine and then proceeded to order some appetizers. Randy got the Sweet Chili Pork soup:

 He said it had a lot of flavour and just reminded him of simple, good homemade soup. I ordered a spinach salad for my appetizer:


This was unlike any other spinach salad I've ordered before. It came with bits of real bacon and egg in it! I was in love. The mushrooms were really fresh as well and it came with diced tomato, a little sprinkling of cheese, and a side of creamy poppyseed dressing. I was a huge fan of this salad. Bacon really does make everything better.

For an entree, Randy went with the special: a raspberry venison. It came with a side of rice and some veggies:

Very photographable, don't you think? I was really pretty surprised that Randy ordered this; he's not a fan of fruit in "untraditional" food settings (like strawberries in a salad). Randy thought it was well cooked but he really was not a fan of the raspberry so he wasn't head over heels for this dish. He said the rice was dry, tasteless, and bland. Not a huge win on his end!

As for me, I ordered the Chicken Pesto Fuscilli:


I've got to learn how to take non-blurry photos on my Iphone! Grrrr.

This meal was delicious. It was thin slices of chicken breast tossed with rainbow pasta, olive oil, cheese and sauteed spinach, roasted red pepper, onion, and grated carrot. I really enjoyed this meal. But like most restaurant pasta dishes, it came in a massive portion size so I ate about half and asked for the rest to be boxed up so I could save room for this:


A decadent vanilla bean cheesecake. Our server told us the vanilla cheesecake is the "best in town". Well, I don't know how competitive the cheesecake world is in Grand Falls, but this was really delicious. Randy and I split it but I could have easily consumed the entire thing on my one. It was soft, rich (but not too rich) and not too heavy-feeling. We finished the evening off with a Chocolate Biscuit martini (Randy) and a Margarita (me). We left with happy hearts and tummies, for sure.

Shoutouts from Wednesday to Friday go to: Vanilla Bean Cheesecake (duh), Shrimp Dip (made by yours truly...recipe to come!), and Coffee Crisp Easter Eggs.

Here's Sebastian helping himself to my glass of water:



No comments:

Post a Comment