Monday 30 May 2011

Dockside Restaurant

Randy and I originally had plans to check out the Dockside Restaurant in Botwood on Friday but since it was 27 degrees out here on Friday, we decided to break out the barbecue again and postpone our Dockside trip to the next day.

Randy made some homemade hamburgers with lean ground beef, chopped onion, salt, pepper, and steak spice and threw them on the BBQ along with some fresh corn on the cob. As an extra side, I also threw some McCain spicy fries in the oven:

Randy's burgers were awesome; super juicy and not dry at all. And with the addition of the corn on the cob, I really felt like summer was here! (this thought was soon to be dashed by the fact that the next day was 5 degrees outside).

On Saturday, we made our way out to the Dockside Restaurant in Botwood. We wanted to try a decent restaurant and had exhausted all of our options here in Grand Falls. We had heard a lot of nice things about the Dockside restaurant so since it was only 25 minutes away, we decided to drive out there for supper.

The Dockside is a small restaurant basically on the water in Botwood and doubles as an inn as well. The inside is very cozy and quaint and we arrived eager to get our grub on.

We were first served with some delicious rolls which you could tell were homemade. I couldn't taste it as much as I wanted to, unfortunately, because I was suffering from a nasty head cold:


As an appetizer, I ordered the strawberry spinach salad:


This salad was awesome. Unlike so many strawberry spinach salads that I have ordered at other places, this salad didn't come drenched in a creamy poppyseed dressing. Instead, it had a very light vinaigrette type dressing and was the perfect start to my meal. My only complaint would be that I wanted a few more strawberries.

For his starter, Randy ordered the soup of the day which was a Turkey Vegetable soup:

Randy's turkey vegetable soup was delicious and homemade - the only downside he said was that it seemed a little too sweet which he rectified by adding extra pepper.

For my main course, I ordered a chicken and mushroom crepe with mashed potatoes and the vegetables of the day:

The crepe was amazing. Fresh mushrooms and chicken inside a light, fluffy crepe with gravy inside and outside. I loved it and the portion size was just right. Just enough to make me satisfied without being overly full.

For Randy's main, he ordered the braised lamb chops with french fries:


Randy enjoyed this meal - he said it was a good portion, well-cooked, and not a whole lot of seasoning which was actually a good thing. The fries were crispy and not overcooked and he ate about 2/3's of them (I snacked on a few as well).

We decided to split a dessert and went with the chocolate cheesecake:

The dessert was pretty decent. Not as good as 48 High's cheesecake, but tasty nonetheless and I was glad we decided to split it. The perfect amount of sweetness to finish off our meal!

With reasonably priced and delicious food, I would definitely recommend the Dockside Restaurant!

On Sunday, I made a Weight Watchers chicken spinach meatloaf of one of my previous posts. It only has 5 ingredients: spinach, ground chicken, onion soup mix, breadcrumbs, and an egg and is really simple and tasty. I served it alongside some Parmsean flavoured Sidekicks and a garden salad with cucumber, tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette:


I also enjoyed a little dessert afterwards courtesy of my brother who brought me back some tasty Irish Truffles from his travels in Europe:


Thanks Chase!


Today, I fried up some ground turkey and made tacos complete with green pepper, tomato, spicy salsa, sour cream and romano cheese:

Messy looking I know, but it's hard to get a decent picture of a taco! With the taco seasoning I used, you'd never know these weren't beef tacos and by using turkey, I saved some of the fat and calories. I enjoyed three of these and then relaxed on the couch before Randy and I trekked out to McDonald's for a soft serve.

Shoutouts from the past few days go to: McDonald's vanilla cones, licorice, and spicy hummus.

Here's Sebastian being ultra comfortable:


No comments:

Post a Comment