Thursday 26 May 2011

Not Yo Nachos

Before I jump right into today's entry, I just wanted to let you guys know that I have finally changed the topic of my poll. I have been reading quite a few food, fitness, and healthy living blogs and all of them have different styles and topics. So with that in mind, I changed my poll to see if there's anything the readers of this (if there are still any of you out there) would like to see more or less of in my blog. So vote and let me know what you think!

Tuesday was a pretty decent day here so Randy fired up the barbecue. I had picked up a box of boneless, skinless chicken breasts from M & M meats so he put one on the grill for me and a t-bone steak for himself. As a side, I made a simple spinach salad with cucumber and chopped tomato and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing as well as some homemade mashed potatoes with a little sour cream mixed in:

Randy's t-bone steak before:


(Notice how he globbed the ranch dressing on? I like to think my salad looks more elegant)  And after:

Yesterday I went with a Rachael Ray Recipe from my "Book of 10" Cookbook that my brother gave me for Christmas. The recipe was entitled "Shrimp and Pork Balls with Coconut Curried Noodles". I'm not going to post the recipe for this for a few reasons: it's super long and I don't honestly know if I will make it again. It was really, really tasty but requires a lot of prep work and a lot of dishes. Here's a sample of some of my prepped ingredients:


Grated ginger, carrot, chopped green onion, and sliced red pepper



And this is the finished product: Meatballs made of shredded shrimp, pork, green onion, ginger and various spices a top linguine noodles tossed with onions, ginger, pepper, carrots, coconut milk, chicken broth, and various spices:

And again:


Preparing this dish was a whirlwind. Not only did I use about a million dishes (which I moaned and groaned about when it came time to wash them) but it also required a lot of prep work and took quite a long time to prepare.

Randy and I had a difference of opinion about this dish. I loved it. If you enjoy Indian food, this dish is for you. The curry powder and ginger are very distinct in the dish and it has a bit of a kick to it spice-wise. I LOVED it. I don't know if I would make it again for the simple fact that it required so much work (both in prep, cooking, and cleanup) but I really enjoyed it. Randy said it was "okay" and commented that it tasted pretty lemon-y, which I attribute to the grated ginger. If you like ginger, you will enjoy this dish. If you don't, then it's probably not for you.

Today, I got quite a few workouts in. I did an hour and a half of Yoga from my P90 X dvd's, did a quick 2 km run, and then went for a 3 km walk with Randy after school - it was beautiful outside here today! So what do you do when you workout a lot? Why, eat half a pack of bacon, of course.

We had some leftover Tostitos from the nachos Randy made in my last post so I decided to make nachos myself but substitute bacon for the beef. I baked (yes, baked...it is the new way to go for bacon) about half a pack of bacon and topped the nachos with green onion, chopped bacon, and mozzarella cheese:

I had a Miller Lite beer while I prepared these and then Randy and I attacked them while watching last week's episode of Top Chef Canada (go Todd!). If they look like they are a little skimpy on cheese, it's because I ran out but they were still pretty darn good!

Tomorrow Randy and I are going to check out a steakhouse in Botwood that is supposed to be half decent.

Shoutouts from the past few days go to: Dark-chocolate filled mousse chocolates, red licorice, Toppables crackers with spicy hummus

Here's Sebastian chilling out when I taught in Makkovik (that couch was the BEST nap couch ever):


No comments:

Post a Comment